SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#293808 - 09/21/10 12:17 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Only thing stupider than a pissing contest is someone complaining that it is a pissing contest, THEN JOINING IN!

If you want to think yourself better than those of us wallowing around in the mud, don't jump in and get dirty yourself!

Everybody knows my views about the G70. Horribly flawed, but STILL better for my needs than any other arranger out there! But it came out roughly at the same time as the T2. Two utterly fantastic arrangers, albeit completely different in sound, approach and emphasis, both of them light years ahead of their immediate predecessor. And I would be very surprised to not see many members here STILL enjoying their T2 as much as Fran and I and MANY others are enjoying our G70's. But none of the T2 owners get ragged on as much as the G70 users for operated 'antiquated' gear...

I wonder why THAT is..?

#293809 - 09/21/10 12:29 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
mc Offline

Loc: New York
My dad, who's 60 still plays on the weekends at a small club with his arranger. He purchased a T-2 about 3 years ago +/-. He replaced a Solton ms60 that he has since the late 1990's. He also uses a Ketron Sd1, which he purchased 2001 +/-.

He tells me all the time, I still have a keyboards for another five years or more, so don't go running out buying everything new, when sometimes what you have is just as good.

go figure..........

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 09-21-2010).]

#293810 - 09/21/10 01:04 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Diki,

you pose a great question though, Are the T2 that outdated? Does everyone have to own T4 now? How much different can T2 be from T4 that couldn't have been handled via an update. So now customers have to shell out $3500 - to whatever the T4 will cost every couple of years.

I believe that Ketron and Roland were very similar in the sense that most of there flagship arrangers were many years apart and an update wasn't a new keyboard every couple of years.

#293811 - 09/21/10 01:27 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Only thing stupider than a pissing contest is someone complaining that it is a pissing contest, THEN JOINING IN!

If you want to think yourself better than those of us wallowing around in the mud, don't jump in and get dirty yourself!

Yep, I noticed you jumped right into the middle of the fray, Diki. Well, here's mud in yer eye!

BTW: Fran has a tendency to post the same BS about HIS ROLAND every time a new keyboard comes on the market. If you recall, the G-1000 would never be pried from has aging, gnarled fingers. Hmmmmm! Maybe you were not around back then.

Keep on slinging,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#293812 - 09/21/10 01:42 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Why do I keep coming back to this thread to review the specs

Zuki did you order the T4 yet?.. I know those wheels are turning and you GOTTA have one ASAP!!

#293813 - 09/21/10 01:45 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by alliehoe:
Lucky me,

I own a g70 and an Audya

can you post a ..

6/8, 50's style ballad slow rock style also ...if anyone has an audya please post it.....

#293814 - 09/21/10 01:58 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

BTW: Fran has a tendency to post the same BS about HIS ROLAND every time a new keyboard comes on the market.

How right you are Gary...we got the same BS when the Tyros3, and the Korg PA2Xpro were introduced.

Could that be considered "certainty" or pre-diki-abilty?"

#293815 - 09/21/10 02:18 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Gary, I'm not the one COMPLAINING about it...

And mc... Roland, in the past, never eschewed bringing out a new model in favor of updating the previous one. Only the G70, the last of its' breed (and I'm pretty sure Roland thought of it that way at the time) got the update treatment rather than simply a new model. BTW, v3 came out at the end of 2006, barely a couple of years or so after its' release, HARDLY a substitute for a new model release (those came at more three or four year intervals). And, even if you count ALL the things OS2 & 3 added, they HARDLY substitute in any way for a new model release, being more in the way of fixes for sh*t Roland should have got right in the first place. The only OS thing that Roland added that was completely new was the Guitar Mode, a realtime ONLY feature that had little use except to help prepare SMF's (you can't use it in style mode). Per Part EQ should have been in the basic feature set from the start, IMO...

Fortunately, Roland at least had the sense to have an SRX slot on the G70 (wish it had more, though!), so I have been able to add a lot of completely new sounds to it, giving me the effect of an new model, to a certain extent, but it's hardly a substitute for a new model. Even so, I waited about five years before I got them... So my relic has a new lease on life in that sense! (You can put new sounds into a Tyros, too, so don't start up about that being the demise of Roland, Ian!)

Korg's product cycle seems pretty much on a par with Yamaha, despite them adding significant features via updates, and they have not gone out of business. I'm afraid that that reason is pretty much debunked as a cause of failure in the market...

#293816 - 09/21/10 02:20 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Fran,
Please send me that photo...I have a friend that is a UPS driver he will love it!
OH, I also want to hang it on my wall for inspiration to play better!

Just PM.

Oh, By the way...I played a demo G-70 a year or so ago at Sweetwater...I liked it...but they didn't have any left. The demo unit looked like it was at Desert Storm..
You know why I liked it...PRO features...I don't want a home keyboard.

Lee S.

#293817 - 09/21/10 02:52 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Fran,
Please send me that photo...I have a friend that is a UPS driver he will love it!
OH, I also want to hang it on my wall for inspiration to play better!

Just PM.

Oh, By the way...I played a demo G-70 a year or so ago at Sweetwater...I liked it...but they didn't have any left. The demo unit looked like it was at Desert Storm..
You know why I liked it...PRO features...I don't want a home keyboard.
Lee S.

What excactly makes it a "HOME KEYBOARD" just wondering?..

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online